Friday 20 February 2009

TV Analysis

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to be analysing some shiny TV episodes. I like to do this every now and then because I can no longer watch TV without analysing. So why not put it to good use? I'm going to attack some shows that I know very well. Episodes that I've seen a fair few times and already have an opinion on. So this stuff won't be 'up to date' but it's TV analysis nevertheless. Now to the DVD cabinet...

First we have BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER. There seems to be an infinite amount of excellent television to choose from here, but some are better than others. I'll probably end up analysing various episodes that show different kinds of writing. Some that show good series development, character change, dialogue, action, twists, act-outs. All the usual stuff.

The same goes for ANGEL. Five years of television gold with so much variety to choose from. Comedy, action, happy times, sad times, very very dark times and pure silliness. Expect a few episodes from here.

FIREFLY - While there are only 14 episodes, we have some of the greatest material on TV. Probably only one episode from this gem, but trust me; if you didn't like FIREFLY before, you will after this.

Going back a few years, we have DARK ANGEL. I'm not going to pretend the writing is of a Whedon quality, but it has its moments. James Cameron fires out some killer episodes that are well worth looking at.

SUPERNATURAL is a show that's still on the go. Probably some of the best writing around today and brilliantly executed. I have one episode in mind - 40 minutes of some of the best TV ever - but I might use more.

Finally we have TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. This was a slow burner but again, has its moments. There are some great episodes and the thrill is seeing the timid John Connor grow through the series. I only have season 1 on DVD so I'll be choosing an episode from there and tearing it to shreds.

Along the way, I might come across a bad episode of TV, so I might as well explain that as well.

Needless to say that if you're intending to watch these shows, there will be spoilers, so I'd stay away. I'll say what season the episode is from though, so if you're only on season 2 of SUPERNATURAL, I don't advise you to read the analysis of a season 3 ep. You have been warned.

Hopefully it'll make interesting reading and if not, it'll at least help my own writing and hopefully some unsuspecting passers by. If you find something I've said that you disagree with, feel free to say so. All comments are welcome, no matter how critical.

TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES - episode analysis

2 comments:

Manda said...

Did you ever post your analysis of Supernatural? I'm really curious which episode of season three you thought was the best now?

Neil said...

I never did no, sorry. I got sidetracked. But in the next month or two, I'm planning on doing one for BUFFY, one for ANGEL and one for SUPERNATURAL (the best ep for that, IMO comes in season 2).....

I'll post on my blog when they're up.